Monday, September 14, 2009

Mallorca cleaned up!

Hôla! Arrived to the island yesterday evening and had to stand in line for almost two hours to get my pre-booked car. While standing in line I was fortunate enough to see the Swedish MEGA artist Basshunter walking by! After I got my car I somehow got lost in the middle of Palma before I found the road to Alcudia. Don't ask me how I could miss it... Anyway, there was a really funky DJ on the radio and we had quite a good time together before I finally reached the lighthouse on the Fermentor peninsula where I slept in my car. After a rough nights sleep the first thing I saw through the car window when I opened my eyes in the morning was an Eleonora's Falcon - great start! Too bad I couldn't see the details on it as my eyes were still more or less glued together... When I got out of the car I was entertained by about ten or so nice Eleonora's during the morning, now and then harassed by a Peregrine.
Eleonora's Falcon

Fermentor Peninsula


After that I continued to a spot for Balearic Warbler a few kilometers in on the peninsula. On my way to the spot I got aquainted with the local forms of Spotted Flycatcher and Common Crossbill. On the Warbler site I easily found 7-8 Balearic Warblers in an hour or so and they gave good views, but unfortunately the weren't very photogenic! An odd thing in the dry pine areas were quite a few Yellow Wagtails, which all sounded like flava/thunbergii (i.e. not iberiae).


Balearic Warbler habitat

Balearic Warbler


Early afternoon was spent in the Boquer Valley where another 3-4 Balearic Warblers were found easily. Apart from that there was most sun in the valley and I had to take a break at a local bar. Before heading towards the airport I visited the bridge between Port D'Alcudia and Sa Pobla where I saw one or two Moustasched Warblers, unfortunately accompanied by a Purple Swamphen. Now I'm at the airport awaiting my plane to Sevilla. Adios!

2 comments:

  1. Björn gillar detta!
    Keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics on da nice bids, but mo pics on da Andalucian gal ?? Odd boy !!

    Regards swiftman

    ReplyDelete